Stretch marks are stripped-shaped off-coloured marks on the skin caused as an aftereffect of swift skin stretching or drastic weight changes. They basically show up on mid-regions of the body because of pregnancy or weight.
In the dermatology language, stretch marks are termed as ‘Striae’. They are formed because of hormonal changes identified with adolescence, pregnancy, hormone replacement treatment, and so on. Stretch marks can be usually seen on midsection, thighs, lower back, hips, bosoms, arms, and rear end.
But, how are these stretch marks created? The human skin comprises of three primary layers which are Hypodermic (the most profound and third layer), Dermis (the center layer), and Epidermis (the external layer.)
When the connective tissues are extended because of compression or stretching of the skin, stretch marks are formed on the center layer of the skin (dermis). With the skin stretching, the collagen is weakened, and the elastin filaments begin to tear. Because of this, its natural creation cycle gets harmed or intruded. This leads to scars developing under the top layer of the skin (epidermis). At first, they seem red or pink; however bit by bit, they are transformed into a thin silvery line.
What are the Causes of Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are not a malady, which contaminates the human body, but rather are scars framed because of constriction and extension of the skin. They are fundamentally caused by skin stretching. Their appearance relies on the type of skin. These unpleasant stretch marks are caused due to:
- Skin physically stretching towards the later stages of pregnancy.
- Exceptional weight gain.
- Utilization of specific medicines, including steroids, pills, moisturizers, and Corticosteroid creams.
- Adrenal organ infections, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome.
- Genetic and Hereditary disorders
- Muscle building
- Hormonal changes amid pubescence
What are the Symptoms of Stretch Marks?
Nobody might ever want to have stretch marks on their skin. They generally show up on spots where a lot of fat is deposited. A part of the side effects which perceive the advancement of stretch marks are as follows:
- The skin gets pink, smooth and thin before the advancement of stretch marks.
- Improvement of red, pink, or purple lines on the skin.
- Influenced area is delicate to the touch.
- At the underlying stage, these lines look a bit raised and wrinkled.
- With the progression of time, these lines turn into thin silvery or off-white lines.
- They may likewise show up in patches of parallel lines.
- They show up as scars.
Valuable Tips to treat Stretch Marks Naturally
Here are 8 useful tips to prevent and treat stretch marks.
1. Coconut Oil
Utilizing coconut oil is maybe the best natural approach to keep your skin saturated.
- Rub coconut oil liberally on your skin.
- Rub the zone to help assimilation into the skin.
- Do this a few times each day.
If you don’t have coconut oil, you can utilize olive oil, cocoa or shea butter, avocado oil, emu oil, or some baby oil.
2. Castor Oil
Expecting moms are frequently encouraged to utilize castor oil to counteract stretch marks. Individuals have utilized castor oil to counteract and lessen wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, imperfections, and other skin issues since long. It acts as a humectant, helping your skin hold moisture, keeping it nourished.
- Apply a thick layer of castor oil on your skin.
- Use a saran or plastic wrap to cover the area.
- Apply heat over it using a hot water bottle for no less than 20 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure each day or a few times each week.
If you need to thin the oil, add a tablespoon of castor oil with two tablespoons of sweet almond oil and apply the blend.
3. Skin Hydration
Drinking a lot of water for the duration of the day will keep your skin hydrated. This keeps your skin supple and flexible accordingly, making your skin layers less inclined to tearing. For best results, drink no less than two liters of water every day.
4. Have a Nutritious Eating Routine
Eat a nutritious and well-balanced diet enriched with zinc, silica, vitamins C and E, and different supplements to feed your skin. Vitamin C, specifically, is vital for recovering connective tissue.
Minerals like zinc and silica are additionally valuable, as zinc aides in collagen union and silica produces collagen. In this way, incorporate an assortment of foods, for example, blueberries, carrots, collard greens, green beans, strawberries, spinach, nuts and seeds in your eating regimen.
5. Stock Up On Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a powerful cell reinforcement ingredient that secures the collagen fibers in your skin from damage caused by free radicals. This keeps the collagen fibers strong and advances skin flexibility.
To get the greatest advantage, eat foods high in vitamin E such as almonds, avocados, pumpkins, sunflower seeds, spinach, olives, and so forth. Massage your skin with vitamin E oil or cream a few times each day. You can take vitamin E supplements too.
6. Saturate the Skin with Oil Blends
You can make some intriguing oil blends by mixing different essential and base oils and utilizing them to saturate your skin.
Combine a cup each of coconut oil and olive oil. Include four tablespoons of vitamin E oil and Vitamin A oil from six capsules. Rub this mixture onto your skin frequently.
Blend some shea butter, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. Melt the blend in a microwave or a double evaporator. Include few drops of vitamin E oil and apply the blend onto your skin. This is an extraordinary homemade “tummy massage oil” for averting pregnancy stretch marks.
You can likewise include a couple drops of orange oil in vitamin E oil and afterward apply it on your skin.
7. Use Dry Brushing Method
Dry brushing is incredible for your skin from multiple points of view. It exfoliates the skin, opening the pores and evacuating the development of dead skin cells and dirt. This, thus, helps the skin assimilate saturating oils, creams, and lotions better. Dry brushing likewise encourages blood circulation, burns fat deposits and clears the body off toxins.
Before taking a bath, brush your exposed skin with long clearing strokes in a sweeping stroke utilizing a delicate, natural brush bristles.
Do this for around five minutes, particularly on your thighs, arms, belly, and buttocks, each day or every alternate day. Abstain from brushing fragile or delicate skin areas.
As the name implies, dry brushing must be done on dry skin, not wet skin. When buying the brush, settle on one that has a long handle so you can utilize it effortlessly on difficult to-achieve parts of the body.
8. Exercise or Workout Consistently
Moderate activity advances blood flow, which thus, nourishes the skin cells. Additionally, it conditions the muscles and enhances skin versatility.
Moreover, consistent activity controls hormones and actuates sweating to eliminate body toxins. Pregnant women can incorporate light activities or a workout tailored for pregnant women under expert guidance.
- Add protein, zinc and Vitamin C rich foods in wealth to your diet plan. Servings of mixed greens, milk, fish, nuts and citrus foods help in lessening stretch marks.
- Do yoga and other physical activities regularly.
- Pregnant women should not utilize lotions and creams loaded with chemicals
- Avoid scratching the influenced zones.
- Keep your skin nourished, hydrated and moisturized.