Your food should translate into your medicine. But it is quite disheartening today that many diseases are caused today due to the type of food that we eat. This bad eating culture is not restricted to any age bracket. Why must you suffer in your old age? Why should your food turn into an object that will bring health challenges?
The main focus of these Tips on healthy Diet food is on the seniors in our society. How can they eat healthy? How can they live the reminder of their later years in good health? Answers will be provided to all these through this informative manual. Here we go:
THE POWER IN GREENS
They come in different varieties; they are all essential to make a complete healthy diet. Get the organic type; they are wonderful and usually used as late additions to soups to flavor it or for color. Examples include: Spinach; Collard Greens; Dandelion Greens. Get the Greens included in your soup for healthier living.
As a senior, there should be some emphasis on high fiber meal in your diet. The many varieties of Squash can provide you with some alternatives. Cut an acorn squash into two and place it flesh down in a pan of water; cook for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It taste is great and the nutritional value-excellent.
This is another wise eating formula for the elderly to stay in top shape. It is a power house for potassium; added to this; it has virtually no calories. These fungi are a wise addition to the intake of the elderly.
- Garlic and Onions
They go beyond tasty additions to your meal. If added to your meal, they have the proven ability to reduce bacteria in the body. Further to that, it has been proven that they have the capacity to support a healthy cardiovascular system in the body.
THE GOOD OL’ FRUIT
Fruits are also essential to the health and vitality of the senior citizens. You can consider all these and their health benefits:
The texture of bananas makes it easy to eat and regurgitate. It is a great source of potassium and fiber. It is a good alternative to snacks. Whenever the elderly is having a sweet craving, bananas should come in handy.
There are issues relating to the gum among the elderly, to prevent that, an intake of raisins will help reduce the activities of bacteria that causes this gum problem. It is also a good source of iron.
There is the saying that an Apple a day keeps the doctor away. It has been proven that they help to prevent cholesterol build up in the lining of blood vessel walls. Go for the organic types, they are safest.
They are powerful oxidants that your body needs; they are very good sources of: potassium, calcium and magnesium. Go for the organic varieties and make sure you wash thoroughly so as to avoid infections due to the pesticides that were used in spraying the Berries.
- Whole Grains
When we place what the white varieties of flour based meals and whole grains can offer the body side by side; it has been proved by nutritionists that the body will fare better with whole grains. Go for it, there are more health benefits in it.
Get the type that is old fashioned- that is the real target. Add fresh or dried leaves, cinnamon and nuts for a spice in variety. Cook all these put together in a bowl in the microwave. The taste and effects on the body system is magnificent.
They are very good for the brain health as one gracefully advances in age. They help improve the cardiovascular system and helps also in lowering the cholesterol in the body. The caution here is: It should be taken in moderation to avoid side effects.
As you advance in age, there is the need for regular supply of protein devoid of the heavy saturated fats in other meat. In choosing among the varieties of fish; go for the white fish and tuna. It provides omega 3 fatty acids for a healthy brain and heart.
When we are talking of healthy diets for seniors, the place of chocolate cannot be wished away. It is good for the health and vitality of the elderly ones. It is therefore recommended that it should be included in the diet of the senior ones.
- Olive Oil
When the elderly ones want to bake any of their foods; it is important that they chose the right baking oil to avoid dire consequences. Olive oil contains Omega-3 fatty acids which when used as baking oil, adds some benefits to the baked food.
- Green Tea
This is a wonderful substitute for coffee. It has phytochemicals which has the proven capacity to prevent cancer and heart disease. It is a drink that has proven beneficial attributes for good health and vitality.
- Egg Substitute
Yes egg substitutes! The target here is egg whites which is free from cholesterol. It is very easy for baked foods and other varieties of cooking. It is a good recommendation for the seniors.
- Low Fat Varieties
This is good for your health. Eat less of chemically processed food. Go the natural flair; in doing this also, go for the ones that have low fats.
They are very good for your health. It comes in various forms; the good thing is that any variant of it will boost your health at old age.
Let us talk about soups. It is also a key factor also when talking about holistic health being.
- Pumpkin Soup
It has proven beneficial effects on the body system. Apart from its health benefits, it tastes great when served with any type of food.
For vegetarians, the following is strongly recommended:
- Apple, Pork and Miso Noodle Soup: Apples cooked with mild white miso and noodles is the perfect healthy soup recipe for seniors. It is packed with flavor and has few ingredients that are wholesome and nutritious. You can add a dash of hot sauce for the extra zing. Serve the soup with a watercress salad.
- Oriental Sweet and Sour Vegetables – the ingredients include: 1 tablespoon honey; 1 tablespoon lemon juice; 1 teaspoon light soy sauce; 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger; 1 cup pineapple or orange juice; 1 tablespoon cornstarch (for thickness); 2 teaspoons oil; 1 pound frozen stir-fry vegetables (bag)
- Roasted Cauliflower- This is made up of: 1 (2-pound) head cauliflower, green leaves trimmed; 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; 1 teaspoon kosher salt; 2 tablespoons fresh minced chives; 2 tablespoon fresh grated parmesan.
- Skillet Meal: Now let us consider whole meals as we coast home on these valuable tips on healthy foods for the seniors. The following is our recommendations:
- One-Pan Sautee- The ingredients include: 1 pkg frozen stir-fry veggie mix (no added sauces or seasonings); 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed into ½ inch pieces (can substitute frozen shrimp); ¼ cup low-fat zesty Italian dressing; 1 cup frozen brown rice.
- Snappy Rice Dish- This is made of: 1 cup vegetables, frozen or fresh (cut into bite size pieces); 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, reduced salt (or use water); 1 cup brown rice, cooked, or any other rice; 1⁄2 can kidney beans (about 7 oz) or chickpeas, pink beans, kidney beans; dill weed (fresh-snipped or dry) (to taste); pepper (to taste)
Those are our take for healthy foods for seniors.