Lice are terrible irritants on the hair. You can simply eradicate them. Below are 15 top home remedies that you can simply use to get desired results.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is our no. one remedy for the treatment of lice. It has antiseptic properties which is highly instrumental for the treatment of lice on the hair.
- Cut lemon juice in two and squeeze out the juice. Rub the juice on your hair unto the scalp and leave for 15 minutes for desired effects. The lice will die. Simply get a comb and comb out the debris of dead lice off your hair.
You might also like to read :-
Onions contains sulfur and this property makes it a sure cure for lice on the head. It is one of the best DIY home remedies that will sure give expected results.
- Get four medium sized onions and crush them in a grinder. Get the juice out and apply it on your scalp. Cover your head and leave it for an hour. Shampoo your hair with warm water and comb off the dead lice.
This is an old inexpensive method of getting rid of lice on the head. HealthPrash can assure you that the acidic properties of Vinegar will do the magic of getting rid of the lice.
- Dilute vinegar in water and apply it to your hair. Allow it for some time for effects and then shampoo your hair. You can now comb off the dead lice.
4. Tree Tea Oil
It contains properties of a natural insecticide. Lice cannot withstand an insecticide; hence you can be rest assured that it will work for you.
- You will need the mixture of 1 tablespoon of tree tea oil; 1 ounce of natural shampoo; 3 tablespoon of coconut/olive oil. Apply this mixture over your hair and cover with face cap or towel for 30 minutes. Rinse with hot water. Comb your wet hair to remove the dead lice.
5. Petroleum Jelly
HealthPrash can confirm to you that petroleum jelly has a stifling effect on lice on the head. It will stop the lice in their tract.
- Apply a thick jelly on your head at night and cover your head tightly. In the morning use baby oil to rinse off the jelly. Now comb off the lice off your hair.
Salt is primarily a seasoning agent but it can be used to eradicate lice through desiccation.
- Get a quarter cup of salt and Vinegar mixed together. Spray the solution into your hair until the hair gets wet. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for about 2 hours. Wash and condition your hair thereafter.
It is also an effective home remedy to checkmate lice on the head.
- Apply a heavy dose of mayonnaise on your head and massage it well into your scalp. It must cover your entire hair to get effective results. Cover your head with shower cap for the night and shampoo your hair in the morning. You can comb the lice off your hair.
8. Baby Oil
Baby oil has a suffocating property which the lice cannot withstand. That was why it made our cut for the top 15 remedies that will sure take care of lice on the head.
- Simply apply baby oil on your hair and comb it gently for the lice to fall off. Wash your hair with laundry detergent and hot water.
9. Olive Oil
This is a natural remedy that has the capacity to smother and kill the head lice that has infested your hair.
- Apply any variant of olive oil generously on your hair at bedtime. Secure it on your head with a shower cap or towel overnight. Comb your hair in the morning and rinse off with herbal shampoo containing tea tree oil.
Garlic has a very strong fragrance which is capable of suffocating the lice and killing them ultimately.
- Grind 8-10 garlic cloves into a smooth paste and mix it in 2-3 teaspoon of lime juice. Apply the mixture thoroughly into your scalp and leave it for half an hour. Then rinse it off completely with hot water.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a lubricating nature which can be exploited to stop lice from moving freely thereby preventing them from multiplying on the hair.
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar thoroughly and allow it to dry. Now apply coconut oil to your scalp. Cover your head for about 6-8 hours or better still, leave overnight. Comb your hair in the morning and shampoo.
Cinnamon has antiseptic properties that are very useful when applied to kill the lice on the hair.
- Add cinnamon powder in olive oil. Mix the ingredients thoroughly well before applying same to your hair. Leave for some time. Next comb your hair when it is still wet to remove the dead lice.
13. Old School Listerine
It is an old method of attacking head lice. This is one of the cheapest methods of getting rid of lice on the head. You will see the results after the first round of treatment.
- Soak your hair in Listerine and cover your head with swim cap. Allow it for about 4 hours and then rinse off in warm water.
This is yet another useful means of getting rid of lice on your head. It has powerful antiseptic properties that help in killing germs fast.
- Rub alcohol on your hair and leave for about 5 minutes. With a nit comb you can now get rid of the dead lice. Shampoo your hair afterwards.
15. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil is our last pick but also a highly potent cure for eradicating lice on the hair. It has a combination of strong properties that will help eradicate lice on the hair.
- You will need one-fourth cup of sesame seed oil, one-eighth cup of neem oil, one teaspoon of tea tree oil, one-half teaspoon of eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils, and about 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix all together and apply on the hair at night and cover with a shower cap until morning. Comb your hair in the morning and shampoo. Repeat daily for about 2 weeks.
You can put lice under control with any of the methods listed above.